Friday, November 7, 2008

I'm sooo tired...

Timeframe: Sunday Nov 2, 2008

Andrea was waiting for me after I got off the plane, although the sign she was carrying said groupe-etc (her agency) and not my name, so it took us a few seconds to recognize each other. Once we knew who was who I withdrew some euro from the ATM and we were on our way.

Turns out I'm not living exactly where she said (same house, it's just at a different location than I thought), but I was allowed in on Sunday, even though no one was there to greet us. It's quite a small apartment with a couch, desk, and a table. There is a sink area (range, dish drying area, microwave, and sink) with some cupboards around it, and a small bathroom. I don't have any pictures of my apartment in my camera right now so I'll do another post about it later.

The apartment complex did leave the dishes they talked about along with some linens. So I have a pots and pans, flatware, dishes, a blanket, sheets, and some towels. Is it just me, or was it crazy of them to buy pots with advertising stickers on the bottom of them? Even after soaking it and scraping it off with a knife it's not totally gone. I'm sure I'll start a fire :( The one thing I did forget was toilet paper (although who would have thought to bring it?) With all the stores closed on Sunday, it made for some interesting times.

So, after having me fill out some paper work and giving me a map so I knew where I was, Andrea left me to my own devices. I tried to see if I could get my internet working so I could finish up a few instances in WoW, but unfortunately I had no internet! It sort of came on later, but it still drops out all the time. It seems they're using an Ethernet over power type of thing. The main problem is that I can't keep valid ethernet connection for more than 3 minutes. Quite often, my computer tells me that the cable has been disconnected and I have no IP address, 10 seconds later it's connected again and it works. It disconnects so often that I can't even load a single page without losing the connection. I talked to the landlord about it, but I don't want to bother him more about it until I've actually paid him (more about that later).

So, with no internet I headed out into the world to see if I could find the place I was going to work. I had found it on the map and it didn't seem too far away. It's about a 10-15 minute walk from my house, but it turns out that everything is under construction. So after wandering around the building for 20 minutes, I found the new front entrance and made sure I could find it again. After that I walked home.

I swore up and down that I was going to just take a nap for 20 minutes and then head out to Centre, but 20 minutes turned into 4 hours and by that time it was dark out (6 pm). So I turned on some cartoons I had on my computer in an effort to stay away until a more respectable bed time. It didn't work too well. I woke up at 3 am and couldn't get back to sleep for a few hours. But of course I overslept and was almost late for my bank appointment the next morning ...

No comments: