Sunday, November 16, 2008

Conference de Pieu

Timeframe: Nov 16, 2008

Well, even though they said we were supposed to leave at 6:30am, they were late. Again, the church is the same everywhere :)

I got to the building at 6:15 am, and a nice old couple were nice enough to let me sit in their car while we waited for people to get there. It was weird to hear the old couple listening to the song "I Kissed a Girl...", but I guess US culture is invading everywhere, for better or for worse.

We took a bus ride into Tours (which took about 3 hours) through pastoral France. It was really very pretty, although it was dark for the first hour or so. I did some reading for work and watched out the window when I could.

Turns out that here they do both the adult and general session on the same day. It makes a lot of sense considering some people had to come from so far away. So there was a 2 hour session in the morning (10 am to noon) and 2 hours in the afternoon (2 - 4 pm). That left me 2 hours to visit Tours between sessions while I was munching on my baguette and cheese. I'll put another post about that later because I took tons of pictures (80 of them to be exact, although not all are good) and it's no fun to load lots of pictures into blogger.

The conference itself was okay, very similar in content to one you'd go to in Utah. The building we were in was quite different however. Not like a stake center at all.



Although, after talking to an Australian girl (who married a Frenchman in my ward), this is what it's like in other parts of the world too. We always seemed to do them in our own buildings in Bulgaria, but maybe that's because we either had few members who actually came, or a big building (the old Cuban Embassy).

On the bus ride back I sat next to a missionary from Washington state. He was a nice guy and we just talked about random stuff. Kinda like BRTing (Building Relationships of Trust: a missionary tool they teach you at the MTC).

No comments: