Sunday, December 21, 2008

Quiberon et Belle-Isle

Timeframe: Dec 8, 2008

Today we turn to the west and head for Quiberon and Belle-Isle!



This is just a picture I took out the window while we're driving there. It's pretty, but its definitely not the pastoral France I keep talking about. Craig tried to get me to take more pictures out of the car this trip, but none of them really came out well. I guess that's what happens when you're going 150 kph. Well, maybe we weren't going that fast in this picture, I mean, that speed limit sign does say 70 kph, and Craig would never speed :)



Quiberon is a peninsula jutting out into the Atlantic ocean. So this is a picture off one side. I tried to get one pointing the other way for effect, but with the sun in my eyes the other picture turned out too dark.




So now that we finally get to Quiberon (at about 1 pm, we were always getting late starts) it seems that there is one boat that will take us over to Belle-Isle, but it will cost us at least € 260 to bring the car with us. Since the last boat leaves the island at 6 pm we would only have 3 hours to wander around, without a car, we weren't going to be able to see much that the guide book told us about. And if we missed our ship back the next boat didn't come back until 5 hours after Craig's flight left in the morning. So sadly, we didn't go to Belle Isle after all (maybe I'll try and head back on my own, at this point it's that or London). So we headed over to Nantes instead since it had a castle and Nantes was closer to Rennes than anything else we could think of doing.